【Braised Tofu with Dried Scallop】
Tofu is made from soy milk. It has been used in Chinese cooking for over two thousand years. Tofu has a subtle flavor and can be fried, braised, or cooked in soups and stews.
When I talk to my Canadian friends about tofu dishes, I often hear comments like “Tofu has low calorie and is healthy. But I don’t like it because it tastes too plain.” Well my friend, I can assure you that tofu can be very delicious. This savory dish goes well with rice.
Prepare time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6 servings
1) 1 box of firm tofu (700g);
2) ½ cup small dried scallops, soaked for 8 hours and rinsed;
3) 3 tbsps olive oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1.5 tsps minced fresh ginger root, 1 tbsp finely chopped green onion;
4) 2 tsps cooking wine, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce paste, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1/3 tsp sugar, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ cup water;
5) 1 tsp corn starch, mixing with 1 tbsp water;
6) 1/6 tsp chicken broth mix, 1 tsp sesame oil .
1: Cut each piece of tofu into four equal rectangles, then cut diagonally into two triangles (Picture 1).
2: Non-stick sauté pan on high heat, add 2 tbsps olive oil. Arrange tofu triangle pieces in the pan, cook until golden brown on both sides (Picture 2). Remove tofu pieces and set aside.
3: Same pan on medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, sauté minced garlic, ginger and green onion for a minute. Add scallops and cook for another minute.
4: Add all ingredients 4. Then put in fried tofu and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5: Gently stir in starch and water mixture. Then add chicken broth mix and sesame oil (ingredient 6), gently stir well and remove from heat. Serve immediately.