【Pork and Shrimp Wontons】
Wonton is my favorite comforting food. I make a large batch during the weekend and freeze them for a quick meal later.
Prepare time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
1) 225g center boneless pork loin, 500g frozen white shrimp;
2) 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine, 3 tbsp freshly chopped green onion, 1.5 tsp minced ginger, 3/4 tsp salt, ¼ tsp sugar, 1/6 tsp ground white pepper, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp Yummy House premium soy sauce (or light soy sauce), 1.5 tbsp corn starch, 1/4 tsp chicken broth mix, 1.5 tbsp sesame oil, 1 large egg white, 2 tbsp cold water;
3) 2 packages wonton wrappers (220g per package);
4) 1 large egg yolk with 1/8 tsp salt and 2 tsp water, beaten well, ½ tsp olive oil;
5) 1 sheet of roasted seaweed (30×30 cm);
6) 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp dried shrimp, 1 tsp freshly chopped green onion, 3 cups chicken stock, 1/8 tsp ground white pepper;
7) 100g baby bok choy (Chinese green vegetable);
8) 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp freshly chopped green onion.
1: Mince the pork loin (Picture 1). Rinse the deveined shrimp under cold water and drain well. Cut shrimp into small pieces (Picture 2) and chop finely (Picture 3). Combine the pork and shrimp with all ingredients of Ingredient 2) in a bowl (Picture 4), and stir with a pair of chopsticks in one direction for 3 minutes until the mixture becomes sticky (Picture 5).
2: Place ¾ tsp of the filling at the center of a wonton wrapper (Picture 6). Moisten all four edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the wrapper diagonally (Picture 7) and press down to seal the edges. Moisten the two bottom corners, and then bring them together above the filling. Overlap the tips, moisten with water and press together (Picture 8). Continue until all wrappers are used.
3: Heat ½ tsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a small non-stick sauté pan. Pour in egg yolk and water mixture, and tilt the pan to allow the egg to run and evenly cover the bottom of the pan (Picture 9). Cook for 1-2 minutes and turn over and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and cut the cooked egg and the seaweed sheet into thin strips with kitchen scissors (Picture 10).
5: At the meantime, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add 30 wontons, making sure there is enough room for them to move freely. Once the water boils again and wontons rise to the top, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove wontons from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer them into three serving bowls.
6: Add baby bok choy into the boiling water (Picture 14) and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then remove the bok choy and transfer into three wonton bowls.
7: Toss the egg and seaweed strips with all ingredients of Ingredient 8) into the chicken stock (Picture 15). Mix well then divide the chicken stock among three bowls and serve immediately.
love your recipes