【Sesame flatbread with shallot pork filling】
This flatbread is also called as Shaobing (shāo bǐng), is a type of baked, layered flatbread in Chinese cuisine. Shaobing can be made with or without stuffing, and with or without sesame on top. Shaobing contains a variety of stuffing that can be grouped into two main flavors: savory or sweet. I made these with meat filling, very delicious.
Prepare time: 1 hour
Cook time: 25 minutes
Stand time: 1-2 hours
Serves: 10 servings
1) ¾ cup + 4 tsp luckwarm water (200 g), 1/2 tsp sugar, 1¼ tsp fast rising yeast , mix and stand for 5 min;
2) 1¾ cups all purpose flour (280 g), unsifted;
3) 1 tsp avocado oil or other oil, ½ tsp oil;
4) 3/4 cup – 2 tsp unsifted all purpose flour (110g), 5 tbsp avocado oil or other oil (67g);
5) 250g extra lean ground pork;
6) 4 shallots (185g), 2 green onions;
7) 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp premium soy sauce, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 2/3 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp Chinese thirteen spices powder (or ground black pepper), ¼ tsp chicken broth mix, 1.5 tsp corn starch, 2 tbsp water;
8) 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp water, mix well;
9) ½ cup white sesame seeds;
Directions see the video (Like this video, please view it in YouTube, subscribe and click like, thanks!):
2: Oil paste: Combine all ingredients of Ingredient 4) in a small container, mix well with a spoon and set aside.
3: Meat filling: Remove skin and roots of shallots and green onion, rinse with cold water and then chop finely, separately. Combine all ingredients of Ingredient 5) to 7) in a bowl. Stir in one direction with a pair of chopsticks for 3 minutes, until the mixture is sticky, set aside.
4: Chinese flatbread: Rub some oil onto both hands and working surface, knead the dough for a few times. Divide into 10 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a very long oval about 30 cm long, smooth on 1/10 of oil paste. Roll from one end to form a cylinder shape, cover with food wrap while working on the remaining portions.
5: Fold both ends to the center, press down, the small ball and roll out into a 12-cm circle. Place 2 tbsp filling on top and seal it. Repeat for the next 9 portions. Brush with sugar water and dip the ball into the sesame seeds, take out and turn upside down (sesame side up), press and roll into a 10 cm oval.
6: Preheat the oven to 375F/190C, place Shaobing on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 22-23 minutes until the surface turns light golden. Broil for 2-3 minutes if needed. Serve warm. Yummy!!
Tips：Leftover Shaobing can be stored in an airtight container in a freezer. Warm in a microwave for 15 seconds and then toast the Shaobing before serving.