【Shredded Pork in Hot Garlic Sauce – Yu Xiang Pork】
Yu Xiang is one of most well-known sauces used in Sichuan cuisine. Yu Xiang, literally “fish fragrance”, refers to the sweet, sour and spicy sauce in which meat or vegetables are cooked. This Sichuan classic doesn’t actually contain fish. Instead, its seasoning mixture replicates the traditional flavouring for Sichuan fish dishes, and is prepared using ginger and garlic with sugar, salt, vinegar, soy sauce, and chili peppers. I made this dish for dinner, it disappeared fast.
Prepare time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
1) 300g pork tenderloin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1.5 tsp corn starch, 2 tbsp cold water;
2) 10 dried black fungus, 50g preserved bamboo shoot
3) 1.5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbspchili oil;
4) 1.5 tbsp freshly chopped green onion, 1 tbsp freshly minced ginger, 1 tbsp freshly minced garlic, 1 tbsp Sichuan pickled chili chopped;
5) Sauce: 1 tbsp cooking wine, 2 tsp rice vinegar, 4 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp premium soy sauce, 1tbsp light soy sauce, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp chicken broth mix , 1.5 tsp corn starch;
1: Slice pork tenderloin then cut into shreds. Rub on the rest of ingredients of Ingredient 1) (Picture 2) for 1-2 minutes then set aside for 20 minutes (Picture 1). It will taste better and more tender if the pork meat is marinated overnight in a fridge. In the morning soak dried black fungus in cold water for 3 hours, rinse, simmer in boiling water (Picture 3) for 2 minutes then cut into small slices, set aside. Place all ingrediens of Ingredient 5) in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
2: Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the pork shreds (Picture 4), stir and cook until outside turns white, set aside.
3: Add 0.5 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp chili oil in the same non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat. Sauté minced ginger, garlic, chopped green onion and Sichuan pickled chili of Ingredient 4) for 45 seconds. Add black fungus slices and preserved bamboo shoot, stir and cook for 30 seconds (Picture 6).
4: Add previously cooked pork shreds (Picture 7), stir and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the sauce of Ingredient5) (Picture 8) and continue to stir gently until the sauce thickens. Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately with some steamed rice.