【Sesame (Peanut) butter flatbread】
Shaobing (shāo bǐng) is layered flatbread in Chinese cuisine. Shaobing can be made with or without stuffing, and with or without sesame seeds on top. Shaobing contains a variety of stuffing that can be grouped into two main flavors: savory or sweet. I made these with peanut butter filling, very delicious, soft inside, crispy outside with kid’s favored peanut butter.
Prepare time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2×7 minutes
Stand time: 1 hours
Serves: 10 servings
1) 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp lukewarm water (175 g), 1 tsp fast rising yeast ;
2) 1.5 cups unsifted all-purpose flour (240g);
3) 1 tbsp corn oil or avocado oil;
4) 1 tsp corn oil or avocado oil;
Peanut butter filling:
5) 3 tbsp Kraft smooth peanut butter (50g), ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp ground Sichuan peppercorn;
6) 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1tbsp corn oil or avocado oil;
7) 2 tsp light soy sauce;
8) ½ cup white sesame seeds;
9) 2×2 tbsp oil for pan frying.
Directions see the video:
2: Peanut butter filling: Combine all ingredients of Ingredient 5-6) in a small container, mix well with a spoon (picture 3), and set aside.
3: Rub some corn oil onto both hands and working surface, knead the dough for a few times. Divide into 10 equal portions. Roll out each portion into an oval about 30 cm long, smooth on 1 tsp of peanut butter filling (picture 4). Roll from one end to form a cylinder shape. Tuck both ends to the center to form a disc, cover with food wrap while working on the remaining portions.
4: Dip the disc into the sesame seeds, take out and turn upside down (sesame side up), press and roll into an 8 cm oval. Repeat for the rest 9 portions.
6: Heat a non-stick pan on low heat (2-3), add 2 tbsp oil and place 5 flatbread (picture 5), cook for 3-5 min until golden brown. Turnover (picture 6), cook for another 3 min until golden brown.
7: Take out the Shaobing and repeat for the rest. Serve warm.