【Osmanthus and fermented rice steamed cake】
This is a type of Chinese style steamed cake, made from flour, fermented sweet rice and dry osmanthus.
Prepare time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Stand time: 3 hours
Yield: 12 servings
1) 2 cups all purpose flour (320g), 3 tbsp sugar (45g), 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp dry Osmanthus;
2) 195g lukewarm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1.5 tsp fast rising yeast , 1 tsp all purpose flour;
3) 85g fermented sweet rice;
4) 2 tsp corn oil.
Others: one bamboo steamer.
1. Measure ingredients of Ingredient 1) in a medium size bowl (Picture 1), mix thoroughly with a fork. Measure all ingredients of Ingredient 2 in a 2 cup measuring cup, mix well and let it stand for 10 minutes.
2. Pour liquid to the dry ingredients (Picture 2), combine to form sticky dough. Add 1 tsp corn oil (Picture 3), then knead for a minute (Picture 4). Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
3. When the dough rises and doubles in volume, gently knead the dough for a few times and form a ball. Press down (Picture 5) and roll out the dough into a 20cm circle. Line a 9 inch bamboo steamer with wet cheese cloth and place in the roll out dough (Picture 6).
4. Fill the steamer with 4 cups of warm water, place a rack inside and then place the bamboo steamer on it, cover with the lid (Picture 7) and let it stand for about 1-2 hours until the cake double in size (Picture 8).
5. Place the steamer over the stove at high heat and bring to a boil, steam for 30 minutes at high heat. Then steam for 2 minutes over medium heat and another 2 minutes over low heat. Remove the steamer from heat, wait for 2 minutes then open the lid. Remove the cheese cloth, cut the cake into 12 pieces and serve warm. Yummy!!