Chicken potato rice

Chicken potato rice
By maomaomom

土豆鸡肉焖饭 Chicken potato rice
Try this flavourful, quick and easy recipe. It can be done in InstantPot , an electric pressure cooker or rice cooker. This is my family favourite rice dish and I make this dish at least once a week. It is also well loved by my friends when I bring it to parties. The tender chicken meat, powdery potato, and flavourful rice make you want more! umm yummy!

Prepare Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Level: Easy
Serves: 8 servings

Ingredients

1. Boneless and skinless chicken thighs (400 g) cut to small pieces
2. Marinade ingredients: 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Kikkoman light soy sauce, ¼ teaspoon white pepper powder, 2 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon corn starch;
3. 2 T olive oil; 1 green onion cut in 2-inch length, 1 small piece of fresh ginger sliced, 1 star anise and 2 cloves;
4. 360 ml white long rice, 430 ml low-sodium chicken stock or water;
5. 1.5 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Kikkoman light soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt;
6. 3 medium yellow potatoes peeled and cut in ¼ inch pieces;
7. 1 green onion finely chopped and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.

Directions

1: Mix chicken meat and all marinade ingredients the night before. Store in a container with a lid and place in the fridge overnight.

2: In an InstantPot, press “sauté”, heat 2T olive oil, add ingredients in Ingredient 3), sauté for a minute. Add marinated chicken meat, stir frequently for about 2-3 minutes, press “cancel” key.

土豆鸡肉焖饭1 Chicken potato rice
3: Add Ingredients 4) to 6). Cover the lid, make sure the valve at “Sealing” position, select “Rice” function then start.
4: When it is done, wait for another 5 minutes then release the pressure and open the lid. Stir in finely chopped green onion and sesame oil before serving.

Note: 1C=240ml, 1t=5ml and 1T=15 ml.

pf button big Chicken potato rice

You might also like:

This entry was posted in 文章 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Chicken potato rice

1. X Corp says:

刚做了这个当午饭。我一气吃了两碗。毛毛MOM,现在我厨房里都是你推荐的利器,电高压锅,炒菜锅,铲。。。我连头抽酱油都置办上了。每次照着你的菜谱来都很成功,让我这个菜鸟感觉太良好啦。毛毛MOM,我爱你!

2. Linda says:

35 minutes seems very long in the instant pot, the rice is mushy…would the white rice setting be enough? Or 15 minutes? I love your website. Thank you for putting the recipes in English for us American Born Chinese

3. Gary says:

Hi
    Do you use 3 cloves of garlic or 3 cloves (the spice)

4. Sandra says:

This looks so good! What would you serve with it as a simple vegetable side dish?

5. Lynn says:

Hi, can we use the sauté function of the instant pot for direction step 2 so everything can be done using the instant pot? Or is there a reason for using a separate pan to brown the chicken? Thanks!

6. Ian says:

I tried out the Chicken potato rice recipe by maomaomom – “IT WAS A DISASTER”
    I bought the Instapot Duo and the recipe was in the box.
    The instructions are to set it to rice but that does not generate any pressure.

The rice was not evenly done.
    The chicken was raw.

7. Fred says:

I love your website. I do have a question about using the ‘rice’ function. May be my Instant pot is different. The rice program is only set for 12 minutes and I cannot change it to 34 minutes. Should I use pressure cook function instead and set the time to 34 minutes? Do I use high or normal pressure? Thank you for your advice in advance. Fred

• Pam says:

Hi Fred: I came to the website as well, looking for clarification on this recipe. 35 mins seems *far* too long for pressure cooking some rice, chopped potatoes and browned pieces of chicken. According to the Instant Pot website, white rice has a cooking time of about 4 mins. Boneless chicken breasts will cook from raw in 6 to 8 minutes – and here the chicken thigh meat is at least partially cooked from browning it – while cubed fresh potatoes will cook in 3 to 4 minutes. I’m wondering if the cooking time in the recipe is a typographical error and should actually read 3 to 5 minutes, rather than 35 minutes. I’m inexperienced with the Instant Pot, but I would think if you leave it 10 minutes to naturally release pressure as described in the recipe, that the food will continue to cook during much of that time. I’m going to try 4 minutes tomorrow and see how it goes. I’m also somewhat worried that the amount of liquid (2 cups of chicken stock or water) is too much for 1 and 1/3 cups of rice, as the usual ratio of white rice to liquid is 1:1. If it ends up as a undercooked and or soppy disaster, I’ll leave another comment here!

• MaomaoMom says:

You can use rice function, I tried this with new model it is ok

• tom says:

Be more specific…. There is a rice function that will go from 8min, 12min or 15min depending on if it’s less, normal or more. There is also a low pressure or high pressure setting. Because you didn’t specify i’m trying the Rice setting at 12min (normal mode) on High Pressure.

Anyways if you used the new model update the cooking specifics… I know I would.

8. Pam says:

Back to update. After doing more research online about cooking rice with an Instant Pot, I decided to use the Rice function as suggested in the recipe. I followed the recipe as outlined on the website (here), with a few exceptions: 1) I wet the rice, as suggested on the Instant Pot website. 2) I sprayed the inner pot with nonstick cooking oil (Pam canola spray). 3) I couldn’t find star anise at my local grocery store, so substituted one half teaspoon of Chinese Five Spice powder. 3) I used lower sodium chicken stock, rather than low sodium, because my grocery store only had the latter in organic. Too expensive! Turned out to be a false economy (see below; salty!). 4) I used about two thirds the amount of salt called for, against my better judgement; I considered not adding any. I don’t like my food too salty, and with all that soy sauce…

After reaching pressure, the Rice program decided the dish needed 14 minutes to cook. I followed the directions for natural release, etc. Once done, it smelled great and the rice was definitely cooked, with all the liquids absorbed. Perhaps a *bit* on the mushy side, as the cooked grains and chicken began to break down/apart when I stirred in the sesame oil. Unfortunately, it was far too salty for my taste, overwhelming the rest of the flavours. Salt, soy sauces – both in the marinade and in cooking – and chicken broth all added up. Your tastebuds may not mind, especially if you use low sodium broth or water. I tend to cut back on salt when I cook, so I’m not used to really salty food.

Verdict: I would make it again, and recommend it to my friends with some minor changes. 1) Follow the directions and use *low* sodium broth. Or use water instead of some of the reduced sodium broth that I used. Also, I will leave out *any* added salt during the cooking cycle. Just what’s in the broth (if used) and soy sauces. I can always add salt at the table. 2) Try a little less liquid? The Instant Pot website suggests that some people get good results cooking moistened white rice with a 1 to 1.25 ratio. For 1.33 cups of rice, that would suggest 1.67 cups of liquid. Just a thought. 3) I’d probably leave the potatoes out next time. Trying to reduce my carbs!

Instant pot model: Instant Pot Lux Mini (3 quart)

9. Pearl says:

Tasty and easy! I made this in my Mini Duo. I thought I might need to do it in 2 batches since is a Mini Instant pot, but as written it is just at the 1/2 full level, so perfect. I used the Rice setting- I didn’t realize that was a Pressure Cook program. It sad “Auto” on the panel, so okay, it’s an Auto setting. Time of cooking on the panel was 14 minutes. It came out tasty! Rice done, potatoes done, liquid absorbed. I made sure to cut the potatoes 1/4 inch, I don’t like underdone potatoes. I had it with steamed broccoli. I would use part low sodium soy sauce next time, it’s salty to me. I didn’t add any extra salt. But a keeper. Love these Instant Pots.

10. Daniel says:

In the instant pot recipe book
    I’m confused about step 2 and 3 for the chicken and potato rice recipe.
    Step 3 says to transfer all cooked chicken with liquid into the inner pot. I’m assuming this means the marinade
    And then it says to add chicken stock , soy sauce ect.. But I thought that the chicken stock was already added when it says to transfer all cooked chicken with liquid into inner pot. It would help alot if the recipe explained clearly what to do with the marinade using the word marinade so it’s not confusing