【Pan Fried Shrimp and Vegetable Buns】
Pan fried buns (Bao Zi in Chinese) is one of the most popular foods in China. Today, I made these delicious pan fried buns with shrimp, Chinese green vegetable, tofu, dried mushrooms and eggs. Hope you will like them too.
Meal type: appetizer, breakfast, lunch, dinner
Prepare time: 1.5 hours
Cook time: 4×10 minutes
Stand time: 1.5 hours
Serves: 36 servings
1) 4 cups unsifted all purpose flour (640g), 3 tsp baking powder;
2) 1¾ cups+4 tsp lukewarm water (440g), 1 tsp sugar, 2.5 tsp fast rising yeast, 1 tbsp all purpose flour;
3) 1 tsp corn oil;
4) 2 extra-large eggs beaten with ¼ tsp salt, 2 tsp olive oil;
5) 1.5 pieces firm tofu (260g) sliced into 0.4 cm thick, 2 tsp olive oil;
6) 15 small dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked, rinsed and diced;
7) 1/2 package frozen shelled and deveined white shrimp (200g), cleaned and diced, 1/3 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp white ground pepper, 1 tsp corn starch;
8) 1 tbsp olive oil, 4 tbsp finely chopped green onion, 2 tsp freshly minced ginger, 2 tsp cooking wine;
9) 2 tbsp sesame oil , 1¾ tsp salt, 1 tbsp corn starch, 1/2 tsp chicken broth mix, 1/3 tsp thirteen-scented-spice powder or ground white pepper;
10) 740g baby bok choy, rinsed.
1: Soak dried Chinese mushrooms in warm water for 4 hours, rinse then cut into small pieces.
2. Dough: Measure flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and combine well (Picture 1, left). Mix all ingredients of Ingredient 2) in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes (Picture 1, right). Pour the yeast water mixture into the flour bowl, and combine to form dough. Add 1 tsp corn oil, and knead for a minute (Picture 2) to form smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
3: Filling: Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add beaten eggs, gently stir until egg starts to solidify (Picture 3). Remove from heat and let cool; then finely chop the cooked egg.
4: Heat another 2 tsp oil in the same non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Pan fry tofu slices (Picture 4) until both sides turn golden colour. Remove from heat, let cool and dice the cooked tofu.
5: Place diced shrimp and all the rest ingredients of Ingredient 7) (Picture 5) in a bowl, mix to combine.
6: Same non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp oil and sauté chopped green onion and minced ginger (Picture 6) for 30 seconds. Add chopped mushrooms and sauté for 1-2 minutes (Picture 7). Add diced shrimp, and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes (Picture 8). Sprinkle 2 tsp cooking wine, stir a few times, remove from pan and set aside.
7: Submerge bok choy in a large pot of boiling water for a minute (Picture 9). Remove and rinse under cold water. Dice up bok choy (Picture 10) and wrap in cheesecloth. Squeeze the cheesecloth to remove excess liquid. Then place in a bowl, stir in 2 tbsp sesame oil and mix to combine. Add the rest ingredients of Ingredient 9) (Picture 11), and diced egg, tofu, mushrooms and shrimp. Stir well to combine.
8: Buns: When the dough has doubled in volume (Picture 13), gently knead a few times then divide into 4 equal portions. Shape each into a 2-cm diameter log and cut into 9 discs. Press down each disc and roll out into an 8-10 cm wrapper. Place 1.5-2 tbsp filling on top. Fold up along the edge to form pleats and pinch together to form a bun (Picture 14). Repeat to finish the rest of dough and filling. Check the video for how to make Bao Zi.
9: Place 8-9 buns inside a non-stick sauté pan or a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Let them stand inside an oven for 30-45 minutes until volume increases by 50%. Add about 3/4 cup of cold water and 1 tbsp oil to the pan (Picture 15). Cover the lid and bring to a boil over high heat. Keep an eye and when water almost evaporates, reduce to medium heat and cook for another 3 minutes (Picture 16). Then reduce to low heat and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, wait for 2 minutes before open the lid. Transfer to a serving plate. Yummy!!
Tips: Cooked buns can be stored in an airtight container in freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat in microwave before serving.