【Pan fried buns with shallot green onion and meat filling】
Shallot and green onion really make this pork pan fried buns juicy and tasty. One of my family favorite dishes. Cooked buns can be frozen, before serve it can be reheated in a microwave oven.
Cook time: 3×10 minutes
Serves: 24 servings
1) 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour (not sifted, 480g), 1.5 tsp baking powder;
2) 1+1/4 cup lukewarm water (300g), 1/4 tsp sugar, 2 tsp fast rising yeast, mix well and stand for 5 minutes;
3) 2 tsp olive oil or other cooking oil;
4) 550g extra lean minced pork;
5) 4 shallots (200g);
6) 6 stalks green onion finely chopped, 2 tsp freshly minced ginger, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp thirteen spice powder, 2 tsp corn starch, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp premium soy sauce, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1/3 tsp chicken broth mix, cold water 8 tbsp;
7) 3 x 1 tbsp olive oil or other cooking oil;
8) 2 x ¾ cup (3 x 180g) water.
1. Dough: Measure flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and combine well. Mix all ingredients of Ingredient 2) in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Pour the yeast water mixture into the flour bowl, and combine to form dough. Add 2 tsp oil, and knead for a minute (Picture 1). Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
2: Filling: Remove old skin of shallots, rinse with water and then chop finely, finely chop the green onions as well. Combine all ingredients of Ingredient 4) to 6) in a bowl (Picture 2) and stir in one direction for 3 minutes with a pair of chopsticks or a wooden spoon until the mixture is sticky.
3. Gently knead dough a few times then divide into 3 equal portions. Shape each into a 2 cm diameter log and cut into 8 discs. Press down each disc and roll out into a 10 cm wrapper. Place 2 tbsp filling in the middle of a wrapper (Picture 3). Fold up along the edge to form pleats and pinch together to form a bun (Picture 4). Repeat to finish the rest of dough and filling.
4: Place 8 buns inside a non-stick sauté pan which is already coated with 1 tbsp oil (Picture 5), cover with a lid. Other buns on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Let buns rest for 30-60minutes in a warm place until volume increases by 50%.
5: Add about 3/4 cup of cold water to the pan. Cover with the lid (Picture 6) and bring to a boil over high heat (scale 8-9). Keep an eye and when water almost evaporates (about 4 minutes), reduce to medium-low heat (scale 3) and cook for another 2 minutes. Then reduce to low heat and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Remove from heat, wait for 2 minutes and open the lid. Transfer to a serving plate and serve warm. Yummy!!