【Steamed Shrimp Dumplings – Har Gow】
Steamed shrimp dumpling is one of most popular dim sum dishes at Chinese restaurants. They look adorable and taste wonderful. If you gather all the ingredients, you can make them at home.
Prepare time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Stand time: 20 minutes
Serves: 5 servings
1) 300g frozen white shrimp, 30g finely minced pork fat (optional);
2) 1 tbsp freshly chopped green onion, 1.5 tsp minced ginger, mix both with 1 tbsp water for 20 minutes then discard green onion and ginger;
3) 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground white pepper, 1 tsp corn starch, 1/6 tsp chicken broth mix, 1 tsp garlic oil or sesame oil;
4) 2/3 cup wheat starch (89g), 3 tbsp tapioca starch (31g), 155 g boiling hot water;
5) 2 tsp vegetable oil or lard;
6) 2 tsp garlic oil.
1: Thaw the frozen shrimp then peel and devein the shrimp. Rinse under cold running water. Press down to crush shrimp with a cleaver and cut into 3 small pieces (Picture 1). Combine the chopped shrimp, minced pork fat, liquid extract from green onion and ginger of Ingredient 2) and all ingredients of Ingredient 3) in a bowl (Picture 2). Stir with a pair of chopsticks in one direction for 2 minutes until the mixture becomes sticky (Picture 3). Set it aside.
2: Measure out 2/3 cup wheat starch and 1.5 tbsp tapioca starch in a medium bowl. Stir in 155 g boiling hot water (Picture 4) until it is well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1.5 tbsp tapioca starch (Picture 5) and knead to combine. Finally add 2 tsp lard (Picture 6) and knead until the dough is smooth (Picture 7).
3: Rub small amount of oil on the dough and divide into 3 equal portions. Cover the rest with a damp cloth while working on one portion. On an oiled working surface, shape the dough into a log about 1 inch in diameter. Cut into 5 equal portions (Picture 8). Roll each one into a ball in your palms (Picture 9). Press down with a cleaver or pastry scraper (Picture 10) into an 11-cm disc (Picture 11). If it is too hard to flatten, roll it out with a rolling pin.
4: Place 2 tsps filling in the center of the wrapper. Starting from the right side, fold slightly the back to form 11-12 pleats (Picture 12). Press the front against the back to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Refer to this video for how to fold the shrimp dumpling:
5: Place dumplings on parchment paper squares on a steamer rack and brush the dumplings with garlic oil. Fill the steamer with 3 cups of cold water. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Place the steamer rack in the steamer and steam for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place steamed shrimp dumplings on a serving plate. Yummy!
1. Make sure to use the boiling hot water to make the dough. If in doubt, heat the warm water in a microwave oven to make sure the temperature of water reach the boiling point.
2. Cover the unused dough with a damp cloth to avoid cracking.
3. To make the garlic oil, mix 1 tbsp freshly minced garlic with 1.5 tbsp corn oil. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 30 seconds.