【Green onion and ham bread sticks】
This bread sticks are so soft and delicious, making you reach more and more. I have used flour custard to make the dough which contains more water and thus make the bread super soft, a must try recipe.
Prepare time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Stand time: 3-4 hours.
Yield: 16 servings
1) 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (21g), ½ cup water (120g);
2) 1 large egg white (42g), 1 cup minus 1 tbsp water (225g);
3) 1 tbsp sugar (14g), 1 tbsp milk powder; 3 cups unsifted all purpose flour (480g), 3 tbsp wheat gluten (28g), 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp fast rising yeast ;
4) 2.5 tbsp butter soften (37.5g), 1.5 tbsp corn oil (15g);
5) 1.25 tsp salt, ¼ tsp ground black pepper; ¼ tsp chicken broth mix;
6) 3 stalk green onions, 100g black frost ham;
7) Egg wash: 1 egg yolk mix with 1 tbsp water;
8) 1 tbsp white sesame seeds.
1) Flour custard: Add all ingredients of Ingredient1) in a small bowl and mix well. Heat in a microwave oven at high for 25 seconds and stir. Repeat 3 to 4 times of heating at 15 seconds each and stirring until the mixture thickens (Picture 1). Cover with food wrap and place in a fridge overnight.
2: Transfer the flour custard inside the bread machine , then add all ingredients in Ingredient 2) and 3)(Picture 2). Select “Dough” and start program. When the stirring begins, open the lid and quickly add 3 tbsp soften butter (Picture 3) and 1.5 tbsp corn oil. Close the lid and let the program continue until finish and the dough double in size (Picture 4). The entire process takes about 2 hours.
3: Remove the dough; gently knead a few times on a floured surface. Form a log and roll out into a 60×40 cm rectangle. Brush with egg wash (Picture 5); scatter salt, ground black pepper and chicken broth mix in Ingredient 5) evenly on the top. Remove roots of green onions, rinse and finely chopped. Finely chop black forest ham (Picture 6). Scatter chopped onion and ham over the top evenly (Picture 7). Fold the bottom forth up, fold again and again (Picture 8-9) then gently press down.
4: Cut into equal 16 protions (Picture 10). Cut the center open of each small protion (Picture 11), fold one end through the center slit (Picture 12) and straight out (Picture 13). Repeat for the rest of portions.
5: Arrange all the bread sticks evenly on a 22×32 cm baking sheet sprayed with Pam or lined with parchment paper. Cover and leave them in a warm place until double in size.
6: Preheat oven at 350F. Brush on a thin layer of egg wash to create a glazed look (Picture 14). Bake for 20 minutes until surface turns golden brown. If desire broil at low for 2-3 minutes to achieve optimum colour. Remove from oven, cool for a few minutes before serving.
Store breads in airtight container, warm about 15 seconds in a microwave oven before serving.