【Spicy sesame Tofu】
This Tofu dish is best served immediately after cooking, crispy skin outside, soft tender inside combined with chili, garlic, sesame, soy delicious savory sauce, wonderful.
Prepare time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves: 8 servings
1) 1 package firm tofu 908g;
2) ½ cup cornstarch;
3) 3 tbsp sesame;
4) 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp freshly minced garlic, 1.5 tbsp freshly minced ginger, 1-2 hot chili (depends on how hot you can handle) chopped; ½ tsp ground Sichuan peppercorn ;
5) 1 tbsp cooking wine, 1 tbsp chili oil, 1 tbsp sesame oil , 1 tbsp premium soy sauce, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1/4 tsp chicken broth mix, 2 tbsp dark vinegar, 3 tbsp honey, ½ tsp salt;
6) 4 tbsp freshly chopped green onion;
7) 2.5 cup vegetable or corn oil for frying.
1: Rinse tofu with cold water and wrap tofu in paper towels on chopping board (Picture 1) and place a heavy plate or smaller chopping board on top of the tofu to squeeze out excess liquid for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare garlic, chilli, ginger (Picture 2) and green onion as required in ingredients, setaside.
2: A non-stick sauté pan over low heat. Add sesame seeds (Picture 3) and stir fry until color turn light yellow, set aside.
3: Sauce: Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan over high heat. Sauté minced garlic, chopped minced ginger and the rest of the ingredietns of Ingredigent 4) for 45 seconds (Picture 4). Turn off heat, and add all ingredients of Ingredient 5) and mix well (Picture 5), set aside.
4: Unwrap the tofu blocks and cut each tofu block into 4 equal sized cubes (Picture 6). Place cornstarch in a bowl, and heat vegetable oil in a medium size sauce pot at high heat. Place a few tofu cubes in the cornstarch to coat evenly (Picture 7), and fry the tofu cubes in batches (I did in 2 batches) (Picture 8) until tofu cubes floating and light golden in color (Picture 9). Remove the tofu from the oil and set on paper towels to drain.
5: When all of the tofu is fried, place the cubes in a large bowl. Pour the previously prepared sauce over the tofu (Picture 10), add roasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions, and toss to mix. Serve immediately.