【Steamed buns with mug bean filling】
This soft streamed bun with sweet mug bean filling is a must try item. It is easy to make at home too.
Prepare time: 2 hour
Stand time 12 h
Cook time: 14 minutes
Serves: 10 servings
1) 1/2 all purpose flour (80 g), ¼ cup lukewarm water (60g), 1/2 tsp fast rising yeast;
2) 1.5 cups all purpose flour (240g), 1.5 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp ammonium carbonate;
3) 6 tbsp+1 tsp milk (95g), 1/4 cup sugar (55g), 1 tsp milk powder;
4) 1.5 tbsp lard (20g);
5) Mug bean filling 450g, see Puff pastry cake with mug bean filling on how to make mug bean filling at home.
1) 1/2 all purpose flour (80 g), ¼ cup lukewarm water (60g), 1/2 tsp temperature for about 8-10 hours.
2: Dough: When the dough starter is ready after 8-10 hours, you can see it has many holes (Picture 3). Add milk, milk powder and sugar of Ingredient 3) (Picture 4), mix with your fingers until sugar dissolves.
3: Sift together all ingredients of Ingredient 2) in a medium mixing bowl. Add diced lard (Picture 5), pour in dough starter and mikl mixture to form a dough. Knead for about 5 minutes to form a smooth dough (Picture 6). Cover with plastic wrap and let it stand for 5 minutes.
4: Divide mug bean filling to 10 equal portions, roll each into a ball, set aside (Picture 7). Knead the dough a few times then divided into 10 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Flatten with the palm of your hand then roll out into a 6-cm circle. Place about one filling on top (Picture 8), wrap and seal it. Seal side on the bottom and shape it with your palms to form a ball (Picture 9). Repeat for the remaining dough and filling.
5: Cut parchment paper into 2.5-in squares and place the buns on top. Place them on the steamer rack and let them stand for 5 minutes. Fill the steamer with 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Place the steamer rack on top and cover with lid. Steam the buns on high heat for 12 minutes (Picture 10). Remove the steamer from heat and let stand for 2 more minutes before opening the lid.
6: Serve warm.