【Steamed Pork Ribs in Lotus Leaf】
This is one of the most well-known dishes in many parts of China. The meat is tender and full of rich flavour.
Prepare time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 75 minutes
Stand time: 2 hours
Serves: 6 servings
1) Pork back ribs 750 g;
2) Marinade ingredients: 2g fresh ginger shredded, 1 tbsp freshly minced garlic, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp Kikkoman light soy sauce, 1 tbsp spicy soy bean paste, 1 small piece fermented bean curd, 1/3 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 2 tbsp water;
3) 1/2 cup glutinous rice, 1/2 cup white rice, 1/2 tsp peppercorns; 1 anise, 1 small piece of Chinese cinnamon;
4) One dry lotus leaf (soaked in water for a few hours) or one fresh lotus leaf (boiled for a minute);
5) 1 tsp finely chopped green onion.
1: Rinse ribs under cold water and pat dry. Cut between bones. Put ribs and marinade ingredients into a Ziploc bag, seal and mix well (Picture 1). Set aside in fridge for 2 hours.
2: In a small non-stick frying pan, heat all ingredients of Ingredient 3) over medium heat (Picture 2). Stir and cook until rice turns slightly golden. Set aside to cool.
3: Discard peppercorns, anise and Chinese cinnamon. Place cooked rice in a blender (Picture 3) and pulse a few times until it resembles cornmeal.
4. Coat the ribs evenly with crushed rice (Picture 4) and place them on lotus leaf. Pour the remaining marinade sauce onto ribs (Picture 5) and wrap up. Place in a shallow bowl.
5: Place the steam rack inside the inside InstantPot pressure cooker. Fill water to the 3-cup mark. Place the bowl on the steam rack (Picture 6). Cover the lid and turn the pressure valve to the Seal position. Press the “Manual” button and set 75 minutes of cook time.
6: When it is done, wait another 10 minutes. Slowly release the pressure then open the lid. Take out the steamed ribs, transfer into a serving plate and decorate with finely chopped green onion.